What are our aims?
Dalgairn Centre aims to provide a supportive and stimulating environment for adults who have a learning disability. We aim to promote personal growth and the development of individual abilities.
Who can apply for a service?
All people over 16 and under 65 years of age who have a learning disability. You can use this service if you have other disabilities as well as a learning disability.
What do we offer?
- We can help you learn new skills so that you can do more for yourself such as taking care of your body, dressing yourself and looking after your clothes, making a meal or snack or getting around town safely.
- We can help you get experience of working and help you find a job.
- We can help you find out what you like doing and help you plan so that you get the most out of your life. We can support you to try new experiences in the community and to meet new people.
- We can help you grow in confidence through enjoyment of activities such as sports, art, drama, music etc. which you can do on your own or as part of a team.
- We can help and support you to get the most out of your relationships.
- We can work with your family or carers and other people in your life like nurses, psychologists, speech therapists etc. to help you have the healthiest, safest and most satisfying life possible.
- We can support you and the others around you to make friends and enjoy the company of others, sharing and planning activities and outings.
Where are we?
Whilst the centre building is the base for services much of what people do is in the community accessing its resources.
How do I get there?
We will provide transport that can pick you up from home and take you to whatever you want to do and return you home again if you need it. This will normally be an estate car. You can use public transport if you prefer and we will reimburse your bus fares.
What if I don’t like it?
You can come and visit us as often as you like before making your mind up. We have a centre committee who will listen to your suggestions or complaints and will make recommendations for improving things. You can talk to any member of staff about anything you are unhappy about and nobody will make you do what you donít want to.